Chundikkulam National Park

Posted on February 13, 2018
CategoryNational Parks
LocationKilinochchi
Rating
0.0
Status Open now

Chundikkulam National Park

Chundikkulam Lagoon and its encompassing region was assigned as a winged animal haven on 25 February 1938 under the Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance (No. 2) of 1937.

In January 2009 the Sri Lanka Army’s 55 Division, progressing from Nagar Kovil, re-caught the region around Chundikkulam haven from the aggressor Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. Hence the Sri Lankan military began building army installations in the asylum and banned neighborhood anglers from utilizing the haven and nearby occupants from coming back to their homes. The armed force opened the Chundikulam Nature Park Holiday Resort in the northern piece of the haven in January 2012.

Following the finish of the Sri Lankan Civil War the administration declared plans to change over different asylums in the Northern Province into national parks. An Integrated Strategic Environmental Assessment of Northern Province delivered by the administration with the help of United Nations Development Program and United Nations Environment Program and distributed in October 2014 suggested that Chundikkulam haven be expanded westwards towards Elephant Pass and south-eastwards towards Chalai and Pallamatalan and be moved up to a national stop. The proposal would see the asylum’s region develop from 11,149 ha (27,550 sections of land) to 19,565 ha (48,347 sections of land), somewhat because of engrossing state-claimed woodlands adjacent.

In May 2015 the legislature reported that Chundikkulam, alongside Adam’s Bridge, Delft and Madhu Road, would be assigned national parks. Chundikkulam asylum turned into a national stop on 22 June 2015 with a zone of 19,565 ha (48,347 sections of land).

Image Source : https://goo.gl/CQUX3K
               https://goo.gl/z49eQ4            
               https://goo.gl/4n6RP8

Write a Review

Click to rate