Dutch Reformed church of the Galle Fort, also known as the Groote Kerkis one of the oldest Protestant Churches and oldest Landmarks of Sri Lanka, which was originally built in the year 1640 and then renovated to its present condition in the year 1752.
This church includes an organ and an imposing pulpit made from calamander wood and topped by a grand hexagonal canopy. This church was paved with the tombstones of Old Dutch Cemetery. One of the decent features of the church is beautiful stained-glass work, which creates pictures in the walls of the church as the sun sets and the beautiful honeycomb floors.
The church garden is beautiful, with lush green grass in the center flanked wall to wall by stone tablets. The garden is at its prettiest during the evening hours after, bright and warm sunny day. The sights of the butterflies which have come for the dewy flowers in the gardens would relax the hectic day.
Finding the Church in the Galle is not that hard, as the church is in the main road of the Galle Fort. It is situated near to the entrance of the Galle Fort.
It is believed to be the third oldest building in the Galle Fort. Earlier it was located near the clock tower inside Galle fort but it was relocated to the present location after the closure of Portuguese of Capuchin Convent. Presently the church stands in the highest point in the Galle fort which 12m (39 feet) above sea level. This journey will bring back memories of Dutch incarnation in the country.
Services are held every Sunday at 9.30 a.m. Worship mass and sermon are held monthly on every last Sunday.
Featured photo credit: Aries. Do not reuse without permission