Kandy Esala Perahera is one of the greatest shows on earth
Traditional Kandyan dancers and drummers
The annual extravaganza Kandy Esala Perahera has been named one of the greatest shows on earth by esteemed Australian traveller’s guide Traveller.com.au.
Held annually for 10 days in August, this massive celebration attracts hoards of local and foreign crowds. The event is conducted by The sacred temple of the tooth which is the most visited tourist attraction in entire Sri Lanka. This sacred temple houses a tooth of Lord Buddha which is enshrined in a golden casket. A replica of this casket is paraded on top of a glamorously clad elephant during Esala perahera. Apart from this, the perahera is adorned by many local cultural dancers, fire-breathers, native drummers and of course numerous colourful clad elephants.
The perahera will be held from 5th August to 11th August 2019.
- A ceremony of planting ‘Kap’ (auspicious post) : 1st August 2019
- Final Randoli Perahera: 14th August 2019
- Day Perahera: 15th August 2019
- Official Facebook page of the event – Kandy Esala Perahera 2019
- Official Web site : Kandy Esala Perahera 2019